4. CALL FOR APPLICATIONS: “The Krzysztof Skubiszewski Scholarship and Research Grant 2013”
sponsored by the University of Warsaw and the Republic of Poland’s
Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Warsaw, Poland; 2013/2014 academic year
(Deadline: April 15, 2013)
SCHOLARSHIP AND RESEARCH GRANT 2013
The goal of the scholarship and of the
The scholarship and the research grant are established to
promote democracy, the respect of human rights, the rule of law, and the
respect of law in international relations. The academic internship financed by
the scholarship and the academic visit to Poland financed by the research grant
will be related to the aforementioned goal, and will involve research in one of
the following disciplines:
- law (in particular human rights, constitutional law,
- political science;
- contemporary history.
The academic internship financed by
1. The scholarship holder will undertake an internship at
the University of Warsaw (or another Polish academic institution) in his/her
chosen field, under a supervisor. He/she will be affiliated with an appropriate
University organizational unit.
2. The scholarship holder will be obliged to publish the
results of the academic work undertaken during the internship, in the form and
according to the terms agreed with the supervisor and with the Krzysztof
Skubiszewski Foundation (hereafter: the Foundation).
3. The choice of the supervisor, the details of the
internship and the details of the scholarship holder’s obligations will be
agreed between the Foundation, the relevant university organizational unit and
the scholarship holder.
4. The intership will commence on October 1st, 2013, and
will last nine months (the totality of the academic year 2013/2014).
5. The scholarship holder may not undertake any gainful
employment during the course of the
The academic visit to Poland financed
by the research grant
1. During his/her academic visit to Poland, the grantee
will undertake research in his/her chosen field, in collaboration with the
University of Warsaw (or another Polish academic institution), on terms agreed
with the Foundation.
2. The detailed conditions of the academic visit and the
detail of the grantee’s obligations, including, when relevant, the terms on
which will be published the results of research conducted with support from the
Foundation, will be agreed between the Foundation and the grantee.
3. The academic visit will last two months and will take
place during the academic year 2013/2014.
4. The grantee may not undertake gainful employment
during the course of the academic visit.
Candidate selection criteria
Applications are welcomed from candidates from any of the
countries listed in the title of the present announcement, except Poland. The
scholarship and the research grant are open to candidates who hold a master's
degree or equivalent, and:
· have successfully defended their doctoral thesis (or
have significant academic achievements)
· have accomplished works of significant importance in
the public interest, especially in the area of promoting democracy and the rule
Preference will be given to candidates who are under
forty years of age. Proficiency in foreign languages, particularly English,
will be an important selection criterion. Proficiency in Polish is desired. If
the scholarship holder has no sufficient knowledge of Polish, he/she will
undergo an intensive Polish language course in the period immediately preceding
the internship (in August and in September). If the grantee needs a Polish
language course, the Foundation will organize the course during his/her academic
visit to Poland.